Bartop Mame Update 3 Complete!

The last steps for completing the Mame bartop are complete.

2013-08-05 15.59.22

For sound I had an old set of usb powered speakers that I gutted and mounted above the screen after I drilled out a 1″ hole at an angle toward the screen. It actually sound as if the sound is coming directly from the screen.

2013-08-12 15.57.00

 

I then drilled out the control panel as well as a piece of Plexiglas to cover it. ***PRO TIP*** drill the holes in the wood first then sandwich the plexi between the drilled piece on the top and put a scrap piece of wood under it. then clamp it down really well. and drill them out VERY SLOWLY or it will crack.  I used standard wood bits. Joysticks require a 1 1/4″ bit and the buttons require a 1 1/8″ bit.

2013-08-06 19.11.51

 

Now I put the Monitor back in and tested the buttons to make sure everything works. I printed a few graphics for the control panel until I get some real vinyl ones made.

2013-08-07 18.41.55

 

Everything worked great so I cut a piece of plexi for the screen cover and two pieces to sandwich the marquee at the top.

2013-08-11 17.47.30

 

Here it is with a marquee printed on photo paper. Not bad but a vinyl one will look much better. My full size machine has a real marquee and the light that comes through it is perfect.

2013-08-11 17.47.41

 

The last thing to do was to cut out the back for the Power supply, power button, usb and vent holes. The strange wiring is due to me not really wanting to open the psu to wire the monitor power to it. So I just put a three prong extension cord (white one) into the cabinet and plugged the psu and monitor into it. This way I still only need one power wire going to the wall.

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


six + = 14